Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ରାଜ୍ୟ
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ରାଜନୀତି
  • ଅର୍ଥନୀତି
  • ବାଣିଜ୍ୟ
  • ଅପରାଧ
  • ଖେଳ
  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ରାଜ୍ୟ
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ରାଜନୀତି
  • ଅର୍ଥନୀତି
  • ବାଣିଜ୍ୟ
  • ଅପରାଧ
  • ଖେଳ

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026

Categories

  • Uncategorized
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ରାଜ୍ୟ
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ରାଜନୀତି
  • ଅର୍ଥନୀତି
  • ବାଣିଜ୍ୟ
  • ଅପରାଧ
  • ଖେଳ
Subscribe
Close

Search

ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ

‘I cannot walk, I use two crutches’: 85-year-old Rochford man ‘close to a breakdown’ after council orders removal of £2,200 driveway built on grass verge

By admin
August 18, 2026 4 Min Read
0
Spread the love


‘I cannot walk, I use two crutches’: 85-year-old Rochford man ‘close to a breakdown’ after council orders removal of £2,200 driveway built on grass verge
85-year-old David Siggins says he is “close to a breakdown” after Rochford Council ordered him to remove the £2,200 driveway he built for easier access to his Essex home. (Photo: SWNS)

An 85-year-old man in Essex is facing the threat of legal action after being ordered to remove a £2,200 block-paved driveway he built outside his home, claiming he needed easier access because of his difficulty walking. According to a report by SWNS, David Siggins, from Rochford, said he spent two years trying to follow the correct process before transforming a grass verge into a 3-metre-wide by 5-metre-long driveway.Siggins, who has lived at the property for 42 years, uses two crutches and has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). He said he believed he had received permission from Rochford Council to carry out the work after being told the authority did not own the land. However, earlier this month, he was informed that the grass verge belongs to the council and that the land must be restored to its original state.The former tiler said the dispute has left him extremely distressed and that he is now “quite close to a breakdown” while facing a deadline at the end of August.

85-year-old says driveway was built after seeking permission

Speaking to SWNS, Siggins said he had tried to make sure he followed the correct process before carrying out the work.“This has made me quite ill. I’m quite close to a breakdown,” he said. “I cannot walk, that’s the problem. I use two crutches. It just seems so unfair.”Siggins said the driveway has made it significantly easier for him to access his home and park his vehicles away from the road.“It looks nice – it certainly looks better than the grass,” he said.According to Siggins, he was told two years ago that the council did not own the land and that he could proceed with the work. He said he also had the confirmation in writing.

Dispute over driveway dates back years

Siggins said the issue dates back around two decades, when he received permission from Essex Highways for a dropped kerb outside his property. However, he claimed that around three months after the work was completed, Rochford Council told him the kerb needed to be reinstated and paid him for the inconvenience.In 2024, Siggins said he contacted Essex County Council about his plans to turn the grass verge into a driveway. He claimed he was told that the land was not under its control.He then returned to Rochford Council and said a planning officer advised him to contact Essex Highways. After being told by Essex Highways that the matter was not its responsibility, Siggins said he again contacted Rochford Council.“I went back to Rochford Council and I was told they definitely didn’t own it so I should go ahead. I have it in writing it was confirmed we could do it,” he said.However, a subsequent planning application for the driveway was refused and a later appeal was dismissed. Siggins said he was unaware of both decisions.

Council says grass verge is public open space

Rochford Council said the dispute centres on the ownership and status of the land. According to the authority, the grass verge is council-owned and forms part of a larger title subject to restrictions because it is designated as public open space.A council spokesperson said, “The resident removed a grass verge owned by Rochford District Council to install a block-paved driveway. The council has received a number of complaints.”“The grass verge forms part of a larger title that is subject to restrictions due to its designation as public open space,” the spokesperson added.The council also confirmed that a planning application previously submitted by Siggins had been refused and that an appeal against the decision was dismissed.

Elderly homeowner says driveway has support from neighbours

Siggins said he has not received any complaints from neighbours and claimed that many residents in his close are relieved that he has been able to move his vehicles off the road.The 85-year-old lives with his partner and stepson. He said the close has 13 houses and 31 vehicles, making the additional parking space useful for the community.“I’ve not had any complaints. The close we live in has 13 houses and there are 31 vehicles,” he said. “They’re all really relieved I’ve got [the driveway] as I can get my cars off the road as there’s more space.”Siggins said he has now involved a solicitor as he attempts to resolve the dispute.He also claimed that he and his stepson had largely maintained the grass verge over the years and that council workers had only recently begun cutting it regularly since the dispute arose.The council has given Siggins until the end of August to consider how he wishes to proceed.



Source link

Author

admin

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Princess Eugenie reveals baby daughter’s name with touching tribute to Queen Elizabeth II: ‘Named after three people we love and admire’

Next

“I try to be the connector”: Stephen Curry and Ayesha Curry open up about their equal partnership in charity work | NBA News

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sonu Nigam’s intellectual property suit resolved by Bombay High Court as the singer’s namesake agrees to not use his identity, image without authorisation | Hindi Movie News

Sonu Nigam’s intellectual property suit resolved by Bombay High Court as the singer’s namesake agrees to not use his identity, image without authorisation | Hindi Movie News

August 18, 2026
‘Entire nation will shudder at list of martyrs’: Russian oppn leader Shlosberg jailed for 11 years for war remarks

‘Entire nation will shudder at list of martyrs’: Russian oppn leader Shlosberg jailed for 11 years for war remarks

August 18, 2026
Top stocks to buy today: Stock market recommendations for August 18, 2026 – check list

Top stocks to buy today: Stock market recommendations for August 18, 2026 – check list

August 18, 2026
‘Sab talvaar chalayenge’: Rishabh Pant’s hilarious Ravindra Jadeja banter with Sarfaraz Khan caught on stump mic – WATCH | Cricket News

‘Sab talvaar chalayenge’: Rishabh Pant’s hilarious Ravindra Jadeja banter with Sarfaraz Khan caught on stump mic – WATCH | Cricket News

August 18, 2026

About Us

We love WordPress and are here to provide you with professional-looking WordPress themes so you can take your website one step ahead. We focus on simplicity, elegant design, and clean code.

TG: Ads

About Us

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

We love WordPress and we are here to provide you with professional-looking WordPress themes so that you can take your website one step ahead. We focus on simplicity, elegant design, and clean code.

Category

  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ରାଜ୍ୟ
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ରାଜନୀତି
  • ଅର୍ଥନୀତି
  • ବାଣିଜ୍ୟ
  • ଅପରାଧ
  • ଖେଳ

Useful Links

  • ରାଜ୍ୟ
  • ଦେଶ ବିଦେଶ
  • ଜିଲ୍ଲା
  • ଓଡିଶା
  • ରାଜନୀତି
  • ଅର୍ଥନୀତି
  • ବାଣିଜ୍ୟ
  • ଅପରାଧ
  • ଖେଳ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — Koshal Sambad. All rights reserved. SSWPL